Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mickey Mouse, Mario, and Chiaro Scuro

I just got back from my second voice lesson. My teacher, Mrs. Catalidi, is a happy Italian woman with an absolutely huge voice. When shedoes a siren voice with me for warm ups, she imitates what I should be doing physically. Her arm swings up like a volume control dial, and her mouth expands to match it, and out comes resonating, loud pure sound making the entire small room vibrate. From her, not me. But it's pretty cool anyway:) The odd title are some of the things that she tells me to sound like in certain situations. When going up into the higher register, keeping a little bit of a bright, sharp Mickey Mouse keeps me from sounding like I'm about to swallow myself. Also on those high notes, some words like "will" and others containing two distinct consonants on one syllable need a little "MA-ri-oh" and "lu-I-gi." She is Italian, I guess.
Finally I learned about the Italian paradox for the ideal sound - Chiaro Scuro, meaning light-dark or bright-warm. It's the perfect balance between a deep, resonating, strong sound, and a blissful, bright, happy one. We're working on it. ;) haha jk no one's ever gotten it perfectly - although some have come pretty close. I'm going to go drink some tea now, because my voice is starting to hurt. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment